Subject Selection 2018
Transition and Subject Selection
Throughout Term 3 students in Years 7 — 11 are involved in activities in preparation for 2018 subject selection. The Transition program is tailored to the different needs of students at all levels of schooling, involving extensive information provided through assemblies for each year level, dedicated time in homerooms to plan their courses, Subject Selection Days for Year 9 — 11 students and the recently held Expo/Information evening for Year 9 and Year 10 students and their parents.
In addition, the 2018 Curriculum Handbook, which outlines the Year 4 — 12 curriculum, is available via the College website, under the Learning tab. This is a crucial tool for students being as well informed and prepared as possible for this important decision-making time. Parents are encouraged to spend time with their son going through all of the options available for the coming year.
Re-enrolment forms and planning exercises for Year 9 — 11 students have been sent home via students. Please note the dates of distribution and collection:
|Current Year Level||Forms distributed||Forms Collected|
|Year 9||Wednesday 26 July||Friday 8 September|
|Year 10||Wednesday 26 July||Friday 25 August|
|Year 11||Friday 28 July||Friday 25 August|
Students in Year 7 and Year 8 do not have any planning exercises and will complete their subject selection online. There will be no paperwork to complete for these levels.
|Current Year Level||Subject Selection Assembly||Subject Selection Closes|
|Year 7||Friday 25 August||Friday 8 September|
|Year 8||Week Beginning 5 September||Friday 15 September|
With encouragement and support, serious reflection and careful decision making, it is possible for all students to choose a pathway in which they will be happy and successful, be it in the subjects they undertake in coming years or choice of tertiary study and careers.
Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11 Subject Selection Days
As mentioned, all Year 9 — 11 students will be taking part in a Subject Selection Day as part of their transition programs. This acknowledges the often complex and difficult decisions made as students move into VCE or VCAL programs for Year 10 and Year 11 students. In addition, Subject Selection for Year 9 students will provide support in the selection of units in Year 10 in 2018, quite a different process for selection of Year 9 subjects.
On Subject Selection Days, students will not take part in normal classes. They will be allocated a twenty minute appointment time (fifteen minutes for Year 9) with a Course Advisor, a staff member who will guide them through completion of the subject selection form. A summary of key reminders for students regarding Subject Selection Days:
- Students will be required to attend their appointment on time, in full school uniform.
- They will be required to bring their completed Planning Exercises booklet, which they will have received and be working on through throughout the beginning of the term, their Semester 1 Reports and completed Re-enrolment form. Year 11 students will also be required to bring their completed Careers Passport
- Students who come to their appointment unprepared will be sent home without filling in a subject selection form on the day. This will jeopardise their chances of being placed in the subjects they wish to choose.
- Parents are invited to attend the Subject Selection appointment with their son.
- Students who come without a parent will receive a record of their subject selections to take home to parents. We ask that the slip at the bottom of the form is returned to Mentor teachers on the following Monday to acknowledge parental endorsement of the selected subjects.
Subject Selection Day for Year 10 and Year 11 students is Friday 25 August.
Subject Selection Day for Year 9 students is Friday 8 September.
Mr Mark Gustincic
Deputy Principal – Learning and Teaching