Lasallian Volunteering in 2019
Are you looking for the opportunity of a lifetime? Lasallian Volunteers offer both short and long-term placements in communities across Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. They provide service opportunities for dedicated volunteers within Lasallian schools and communities. Working alongside local staff you will be able to share your knowledge, upskill others or just lend a hand. Volunteering in the Lasallian programs will offer a world of opportunities for knowledge and personal growth. Working alongside local staff you will be able to share your knowledge, upskill others or just lend a hand.
VTAC Information Night — Wednesday 1 August
A reminder to Year 12 parents and students of the VTAC Information Night on Wednesday 1 August at 7:00pm in the College Gymnasium. This is an important night to attend, as the information you will be given is about the VTAC application process which opens on 6 August.
- 6 August — Registrations open
- 6 August — Course, SEAS and scholarship applications open
- 27 September — Timely course applications close
- 27 September — Late applications open
- 12 October — SEAS applications close
Mrs Caroline Fitzpatrick
Time & Space — Year 8 Father and Son Night
The annual De La Salle Time & Space for Stepping Up event will be held on Monday 13 August, in the College Gymnasium. This event is specially designed for Year 8 students and their father or an adult male mentor. Following on from the successful Time & Space Mother-Son Night experience last year, this event will enable participants to pause and acknowledge the journey both parent/guardian and son have made to arrive at this moment in his life. With the assistance of the De La Salle community, you will be led through an engaging evening which involves both discussion groups and a significant ‘one-on-one’ time with your son. We would love you and your son to take part in what promises to be a special evening.
If a student’s father is not able to attend, a grandfather, uncle or other male mentor is welcome. Feel free to contact us and we can discuss inviting someone from your family or community who can be the ‘mentor’ for your son on the night.
When: Monday 13 August, 2018, 6:45pm for 7:00pm start
Dress: Neat casual
Register: Click here. You will know you are registered when you receive a confirmation email from Time & Space.
Enquiries: Please call reception on (03) 9508 2100
I look forward to seeing many of you at this special event.
Miss Sarah O’Connor
Personal Development Coordinator
Updated 2018 ASCIA Anaphylaxis Action Plans
Following an extensive review by the Australasian Society for Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA), the following updated 2018 versions of ASCIA Action Plans are now available on the ASCIA website.
ASCIA Action Plans for Anaphylaxis have been developed as a concise and easy to follow, single page documents to assist in the emergency treatment of anaphylaxis, as part of a comprehensive anaphylaxis management plan. The plans are medical documents that should be completed and signed by the treating medical or nurse practitioner.
Please note, although 2018 versions of ASCIA Action Plans are now available, the 2017 or 2016 versions are still valid for use in 2018 if the “review date” is in 2018 or later.
The main changes to the plans (compared to the 2017 versions) are as follows:
- New generic versions of ASCIA Action Plans for Anaphylaxis have been developed for use with any brand of adrenaline (epinephrine) auto-injector, with no mention of brand names or brand specific instructions.
- Updated EpiPen brand-specific versions of ASCIA Action Plans for Anaphylaxis include “How to use EpiPen”. However, to ensure consistency with the generic plans the EpiPen brand name is not mentioned elsewhere.
- To reduce the risk of prescribing or dispensing the incorrect dose of adrenaline auto-injector, ASCIA prescribing guidelines are now included on each plan: Adrenaline autoinjectors (300 mcg) are prescribed for children over 20kg and adults; Adrenaline autoinjectors (150 mcg) are prescribed for children 10–20kg.
- To minimise the risk of inappropriate treatment and prevent allergic reactions to ticks, the following updated information is included on each plan “For tick allergy seek medical help or freeze tick and let it drop off”.
- As a result of new research data, the following wording has been added to each plan “If adrenaline is accidentally injected (e.g. into a thumb) follow this action plan if a person has anaphylaxis and phone your local poisons information centre”.
Due to the recent Australia wide shortage of adrenaline autoinjectors (EpiPens), a number of student EpiPens are now out of date and the College is in the process of contacting families affected. Local pharmacies have now returned to full stocks of adrenaline autoinjectors. It is expected all students at risk of anaphylaxis reactions supply the College with a spare adrenaline autoinjector (EpiPen).
Mrs Kylie Upton
ACCent on Music 2018 – 18 September at Hamer Hall
The ACC Concert, “ACCent on Music”, will be held at Hamer Hall (Arts Centre Melbourne), on Tuesday, September 18 at 7:00pm. This will be a wonderful celebration of the individual and collective musical talents of the students across our twelve member schools. This is the third time that we have undertaken an event of this magnitude and there has been a significant amount of preparation carried out by a wide range of people. It promises to be a remarkable evening of entertainment at the premier concert venue in Victoria.
Tickets are $20 and on sale now from The Arts Centre Melbourne. Make sure to use the DELASALLE promo code when you purchase your tickets!
Time to Shine 2018
Time to Shine 2018 is a musical celebration to showcase the extraordinary talents of youth – featuring singers, dancers and musicians from Catholic secondary schools across the Archdiocese of Melbourne. This year’s production will be staged at the State Theatre, Arts Centre Melbourne on 28 July 2018 with shows at 2pm and 7.30pm. Tickets now on sale at the Arts Centre Melbourne website. Discount tickets for group bookings (10 or more) are available by phoning 1300 182 183. Featuring almost 400 students from over 50 secondary schools, this event has become a key celebration for Catholic secondary schools in Melbourne to display the performance talents of their students. Time to Shine will also be screened on the Seven Network after the event.