Learning and Teaching
Transition and Subject Selection
Throughout Term 3 students in Years 7–11 are involved in activities in preparation for 2016 subject selection. The transition program is tailored to the different needs of students at the different levels of schooling, involving extensive information provided through assemblies for each year level, dedicated time in homerooms to plan their courses, Course Advice Days for Year 9, 10 and 11 students and the recently held Expo/Information evening for Year 9 and 10 students and their parents.
In addition, the 2016 Curriculum Handbook, which outlines the Year 4–12 curriculum program, is available via the College website, under the Learning tab. This is a crucial tool for students to be as well informed and prepared as possible for this important decision-making time. Parents are encouraged to spend time with their son going through all of the options available for the coming year.
Subject selection/Re-enrolment forms for students are in the process of being sent home via students. Please note the dates of distribution and collection:
|Year Level||Forms distributed||Forms Collected|
|Year 7||Wednesday 26 August||Wednesday 2 September|
|Year 8||Thursday 13 August||Monday 31 August|
|Year 9||Friday 24 July*||Friday 28 August|
|Year 10||Wednesday 22 July*||Friday 21 August|
|Year 11||Wednesday 29 July*||Wednesday 19 August|
*Re-enrolment form and Planning Exercises only
With encouragement and support, serious reflection and careful decision making, it is possible for all students to choose a pathway in which they will be happy and successful, be it in the subjects they undertake in coming years or choice of tertiary study and careers.
Year 9, 10 & 11 Course Advice Days
As mentioned, all Year 9, 10 & 11 students will be taking part in course advice as part of their transition programs. This acknowledges the often complex and difficult decisions made as students move into VCE or VCAL programs for Year 10 and 11 students. In addition, course advice for Year 9 students will provide support in the selection of units in Year 10 in 2016; quite a different process from that used for selection of Year 9 subjects.
On Course Advice Days, students will not take part in normal classes. They will be allocated a fifteen minute appointment time with a Course Advisor, a staff member who will guide them through completion of the subject selection form. Please find below a summary of key reminders for students regarding Course Advice Days:
- Students will be required to attend their appointment on time, in full school uniform.
- They will be required to bring their completed Planning Exercises booklet (which they will have received and been working on throughout the beginning of the term), their Semester 1 Reports and completed re-enrolment form.
- Students who come to their appointment unprepared will be sent home without filling in a subject selection form on the day. This may jeopardise their chances of being placed in the subjects they wish to choose.
- Parents are invited to attend the Course Advice Day with their son.
- Students who come without a parent will receive a record of their subject selections to take home to parents. We ask that the slip at the bottom of the form is returned to Homeroom teachers on the following Monday to acknowledge parental endorsement of the selected subjects.
Course Advice Day for Year 11 students is Wednesday 19 August (12pm – 4:30pm)
Course Advice Day for Year 10 students is Friday 21 August
Course Advice Day for Year 9 students is Friday 28 August
Mr Mark Gustincic
Deputy Principal – Learning and Teaching