Asthma and Coronavirus
The Australian Asthma Foundation states: “If a viral illness is a trigger for your child’s asthma, take similar precautions you would take at the start of the cold and flu season but add some of the things we’ve all adapted during COVID‐19.”
The message of hand hygiene and physical distancing continues to be important factors to assist minimizing the risk of contracting coronavirus and transmission of the virus among our community.
- If your son suffers from asthma, please consult with your Medical Practitioner for individual advice to discuss your son’s triggers, the patterns of their illness (when, how often, and how severely they experience their symptoms) and their current level of asthma control.
- Discuss the possibility of starting preventer asthma medication.
- Request an updated written Asthma Action Plan — to be supplied to the College Health Centre.
- Check that your son’s inhaler technique have been reviewed by your Medical Practitioner to ensure they are receiving the right dosage of medication to their lungs. If your child is using a puffer device, ensure you have a spacer to maximize the benefits of the asthma medications and reduce potential side effects.
- Keep your son at home if they are unwell and consult with your Medical Practitioner regarding any Asthma symptoms.
The Asthma Foundation has also provided a list of FAQ’s to assist making informed decisions regarding coronavirus and asthma management, Asthma and Coronavirus.
Further resources are available to assist with further information regarding your son’s asthma:
- 1800 Asthma (1800 278 462) a free service from Asthma Australia for people with asthma and their carers where you can speak to an Asthma Educator about your asthma questions and concerns.
- Coronavirus Health Information Line (1800 020 080) - for information on coronavirus (COVID‐19). The line operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Deputy Principal — Students
The CSPV (Catholic School Parents Victoria) has released the latest edition of its newsletter. To access it, please click here.