Beginning over a century ago with 54 boys in a parish hall, our College now educates 1,120 students across two campuses. It’s a rich history and one that informs our direction for the future.
Today the College comprises over 1,120 students and 150 staff divided between Tiverton campus on High Street and Kinnoull, our senior campus.
Early History from 1912
Three Irish brothers, Br Dunstan Drumm, Br Leopold Loughran and Br Jerome Foley, arrived in Melbourne on 4 February, 1912 after a long sea voyage that took them from a bleak northern winter into a hot Australian summer.
These early days, and indeed the early years, would provide an exciting challenge for our three pioneers in establishing De La Salle College in Malvern.
A New Beginning in 1929
A momentous year in the history of the College was 1929. The size and public profile of De La Salle grew dramatically with the move from the first school building in Stanhope Street West to the new Tower Building, erected on the site of our present Tiverton Campus.
Dr Eric D’Arcy, retired Archbishop of Hobart and Oxford educated academic, spoke of his old De La Salle teacher:
‘Br Jerome, one of many great leaders De La Salle has seen, had the difficult task of steering the College through the hard years of the Great Depression and the Second World War and was loved and respected by generations of De La Salle Collegians’.
1953 and Beyond
In 1953 a second property, ‘Kinnoull’, was purchased in nearby Northbrook Avenue and, since then, each decade until the end of the century has seen further expansion and growth.
The growth and development of the College, along with the many students who have passed through its gates, are a fine tribute to those three Irish brothers.
Preserving the history of the College is important to us, should you have a question for our College Archivist or have any items of memorabilia you wish to donate to the College please drop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org.