Outstanding VCE results — Congratulations to the De La Salle Class of 2019!
I am thrilled to announce this year’s Year 12 students have achieved excellent results, producing some of the best VCE results in our history in relation to the key data. The most noteworthy statistics demonstrate significant improvement in a range of critical areas:
- The Median Study Score for 2019 is 31, comfortably above the State median of 30, keeping us ahead of the pack and many “like” schools
- We have our best‐ever achievement in relation to students attaining ATARs in the 90s. With 13.9% of the cohort attaining an ATAR of 90 or above, this represents an improvement in 2019 of almost 3%.
- The percentage of students with ATARs in the 70 – 99.96 range is 54%. This is marginally lower than last year’s extraordinary results but a dramatic increase from 45.86% in 2017
- The percentage of Study Scores 40 and above is 7.85 – our best ever – and up from 7.22% last year, 6.43% in 2017 and 5.3% in 2016. This displays terrific progression and growth in four consecutive cohorts – a very pleasing reward for the targeted work of teachers in lifting results and pushing their students
- The Median ATAR is 72.35. This fractionally below the high‐water mark of 73.15 set last year, but continues the excellent progression from 67.60 in 2017 and 64.18 in 2016
While there is an impressive range of superb individual results, with many students doing exceptionally well, the high standard they have been able to maintain as a cohort is most noteworthy.
Congratulations and thank you to all the Unit 3 & 4 teachers who invested so much time, effort and expertise in teaching, mentoring and advising each and every student in their care. With the state median for all subjects being 30, we have so many with median Study Scores in the 34 – 40 range, figures which sit at the very top of the scale when compared with any of Victoria’s highest performing schools. Several Learning Areas and individual subjects have achieved their very best results for at least ten years.
The overall improvement in 2019 is testament to the targeted approach and diligent attention to detail evident among the students and the positive relationships our teachers enjoy with our young men. As ever, the organised and intrinsically motivated performed at the highest standard. The marked difference in the performance of students at all levels has largely removed the “tail” of lower scores.
I am so proud of all our young men; of course, the most able and diligent but perhaps even more so of those with lesser gifts who strove for personal success and maximised their results through sheer devotion to the task.
Congratulations to 2019 College Dux Amedeo Perri, who achieved an outstanding ATAR of 98.55.
MATHS: MATHEMATICAL METHODS 34
SYSTEMS ENGINEERING 43
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ( Year 11, 2018) 49
Amedeo’s extraordinary results in six diverse and very challenging Unit 3 & 4 Studies are the result of a disciplined, organised approach, a dedication to maximising his potential and a willingness to work closely with teachers and peers. Amedeo has also made a tremendous contribution to the wider life of the College as Vice Captain and his significant involvement in the music program. He is an excellent role model for his peers. In studying six very demanding subjects, including an almost perfect score for Unit 3 & 4 Software Development while still in Year 11 and attaining scores in the 40s for four of them, Amedeo set a tremendous example for other De La Salle students.
Congratulations again to all our Year 12 students and teachers on this tremendous achievement for 2019.
Wishing all in our De La Salle community a safe, happy and holy Christmas.
Mr Peter Houlihan